Saturday 28 December 2013

Giving up Alcohol for a Year - 3 days to go!

Today is day 362 of my journey into 2013 with no alcohol. It doesn't seem that long ago since I made the decision on 31/12/12 to attempt to go a whole year with no beer, wine, spirits (or any other form of booze).

I wasn't a big drinker, but I binged on regular occasions, and when I did drink I did not enjoy the hangovers the next day, which seemed to be getting worse with age (I'm 34 now).

One of the highlights this year health wise was completing my first (and probably last!) marathon in Edinburgh. I did it with a really slow time, but I believe not drinking alcohol played a big part in helping me train for it and complete it.

If you are thinking of giving up alcohol for 2014 I would highly recommended it. It is great not to feel tired and hungover on weekend mornings, but to feel refreshed and hydrated. I found that after about three to four weeks alcohol free, the tendency or craving to "have a couple of beers" faded away.

Will I drink alcohol in 2014? Well I believe that after a period of time without alcohol the brain re-wires itself and you no longer feel the need to drink, and that's the way I'm feeling right now. I would also say that that the advantages of not drinking far out way any perceived advantages of drinking alcohol.

For anyone considering giving up the booze for a while, why not sign up for Cancer Research UK's Dryathlon. You will save money, feel much better and perhaps raise a few ££s for charity along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment