Wednesday 2 January 2013

Day One...

Here we have a photograph of my last beer, consumed at 23:59 on 31st December 2012. I don't usually take photos of my drinks but this unassuming can of Fosters represents my last indulgence in the amber nectar until 2014.

I actually drank four of these on New Year's Eve, and as the world charged their glasses for 2013 I was draining mine, drinking the last drops seconds before the bells, and setting the empty can on the coffee table on the stroke of midnight.

And that was it. No more beer for a year.

The reasons? Basically this is all down to health and hangovers. I want more of the former and none of the latter. I'm feeling good about this decision, but I know it won't always be easy.

Yesterday, while preparing New Year's Day dinner and getting ready for a family visit I, had the first familiar twinges of "fancying a beer", I had stacked a few to chill in the fridge for guests, and with it being holiday time the fact that it was two in the afternoon wouldn't usually have stopped me. But within a minute or two the thought was gone, the year without beer continued!

So an evening of partying with family. Lots of food and the drink flowing. My first challenge. But I kept on the soft drinks and fruit juice, and I felt great at the end of the evening with events finishing up in the early hours.

So that was it! Day one of no booze ended on a healthy and sober note, so far so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment